About SD Carry

As a young boy in Texas, I grew up with guns. They were basic tools, much like my grandfather's mitre box or pipe wrench, there to perform specific tasks when called upon. I was taught gun safety by virtually every male adult in my family. I spent eight years in the US Navy operating and maintaing various guns from .30 caliber to 5" rifles.

After a few years as a moderator on a popular gun forum, I learned that there is much disinformation, prejudice and plain ignorance about guns posted constantly on the internet.

This blog is dedicated to sharing worthwhile information about the increasing acceptance and practice of legal concealed carry in our country. There is much mis-information and wild opinion about this topic among its practitioners and the public in general. The moral, social and legal responsibilities of concealed carry are immense and must be understood and practiced by all who legally carry a gun.

There is also a vast amount of practical and useful information about carrying and the weapons themselves and I hope to be able to share some of that here. Your comments are welcome, but will be moderated by me before appearing on this blog.

Stay safe.

Other Pages

Monday, January 23, 2012

Law Enforcement and Concealed Carry

Often the subject of what to do when questioned by a law enforcement officer (LEO) and you have a concealed carry permit and are carrying a weapon. Many concealed carry (CC) gun owners state that they will not divulge that they have a permit and are carrying unless asked. Others think that informing a LEO right away is the correct thing to do.

When I consider this I put myself in the place of, say a Highway Patrol officer who has stopped me for some violation or issue. In his or her case, I would feel much better and more secure knowing that I was dealing with a person who is licensed to carry a concealed weapon and who so informed me, right up front. I would not like surprises and would feel that the person I stopped was immediately dealing with me honestly and cooperatively.

From my perspective, I have nothing to hide and I have a legal right and permit to carry my weapon, so there is really no reason to hide that fact. Some states, and maybe all for what I know, have your CCP (concealed carry permit) logged into the records accessible by the police dispatch anyway, so it won't be a secret once the LEO runs your plate and license. My intent - I haven't been stopped while carrying since I'm an old fart driver and seldom break traffic laws - is to stop, turn on my dome light if it is dark, roll down the window and put my hands on the top of the steering wheel. When asked for my license, I will hand it, and my CCP over for inspection, and let the LEO take it from there.

A simple matter, but important. Those LEOs are out there to help us and I believe in giving them all the help I can while staying out of their way.

No comments:

Post a Comment