About SD Carry

As a young boy in Texas, I grew up with guns. They were basic tools, much like my grandfather's mitre box or pipe wrench, there to perform specific tasks when called upon. I was taught gun safety by virtually every male adult in my family. I spent eight years in the US Navy operating and maintaing various guns from .30 caliber to 5" rifles.

After a few years as a moderator on a popular gun forum, I learned that there is much disinformation, prejudice and plain ignorance about guns posted constantly on the internet.

This blog is dedicated to sharing worthwhile information about the increasing acceptance and practice of legal concealed carry in our country. There is much mis-information and wild opinion about this topic among its practitioners and the public in general. The moral, social and legal responsibilities of concealed carry are immense and must be understood and practiced by all who legally carry a gun.

There is also a vast amount of practical and useful information about carrying and the weapons themselves and I hope to be able to share some of that here. Your comments are welcome, but will be moderated by me before appearing on this blog.

Stay safe.

Other Pages

Thursday, July 12, 2012

Innovative Holster from N82 Tactical

The N82 Tactical Pro for the Ruger SR9c


This is an innovative design created by two Nates. (N8 2...) Their driving reason was comfort. They tried many holster designs, like I have, and found none of them provided the levels of comfort and security they were after, so they starting making their own.

Comfort

The idea behind the N82 Tactical is that the gun should not contact your body. And, the portion of the holster that does should be firm, yielding and comfortable. I have been using mine for about a week, with both the SR9c, for which it was designed, and the LC9, for which it is not designed, nor intended.

Note: N82 Tactical does not endorse or recommend carrying a gun in one of their Professional models for which the holster was not designed. More on this below.

The N82 has a panel shaped to surround the handgun. Leather faces the gun itself, while the remainder is a sandwich of neoprene and suede next to your body. The suede also applies friction to the holster allowing the design to use a single clip, instead of two like the Crossbreed and similar designs. This resulted in a very comfortable holster and one that I have successfully worn all day. However, I am not pronouncing this the most comfortable holster yet. It's got to get me through the summer and into the winter, then I will have a better idea about that. At this point, I do find it more comfortable than the Crossbreed Supertuck I have been using with the SR9c, and I like the fact that there is only one clip to deal with, and I like it even more that there is nothing poking me in the side.

Security

I have the Professional model with the molded polycarbonate shell that locks the pistol in place. The fit is excellent on the SR9c, The SR9c clicks in decisively and requires a slight inward twist of the wrist to release it from the shell - nothing that can't be easily learned and used quickly. If the standard holster, without the polycarbonate shell, had an adjustable clip, it would likely be perfect for my SR9c and my LC9 since that holster is made from a dense, elastic material that would readily conform to either gun. As it is, with the clip oriented almost to straight drop, and my preference being appendix and cross draw carry, it would have been probably the better choice for me if I had wanted one holster for both pistols.

The only negative in terms of security, and it is a very small negative, is that with one clip, and if worn in the appendix or cross draw positions - ones I favor - the holster can swivel a small amount under extended wear, during a long day, for example. By swivel, I mean the cant might increase or decrease by a few degrees. This is not something that compromises security or concealability, just something that might be noticed by the user. When I test this holster in strong side carry I will be able to tell if it is more fixed in that position. (Another good thing is that the clip on the Professional model is adjustable in cant, which makes it suitable for many different carry positions, and it allows one to tuck in the shirt for those times when that is important.) All that being said, I think the N82 single clip design is superior to the double clip holsters because it is far easier to get on and off, easier to adjust the cant, and a small amount of movement is not important, and if worn with a good gun belt, should be minimal in any event.




A follow up note to the above: After wearing the N82 Pro for a few weeks after writing the above concerning the small amount of movement, I have found that this is no longer an issue. I think that during the intervening time, the backing of the holster has conformed to my body shape which has made the entire rig very stable. So, the message is, give it time to adjust to you. This is true of any holster.

Accessibility

For the way I like my handguns to be accessible, this holster works well. Personally, I would like about an inch higher ride, but as designed, most folks would find the accessibility to be about right - a good compromise between concealability and accessibility. The literature accompanying the Professional model holster describes the use of their "Twist Release Design". "...draw your firearm by simply giving the grip a slight twist toward your body as you draw." This isn't hard to say, and it is easier to do than to say. It would be very difficult for a stranger to grab your firearm, if they could even see it, in this holster and wrench it free, but if you grasp the butt of the gun and as you draw twist it just a wee bit inward it pops free immediately. Took me maybe three practice draws before I felt completely comfortable with it.

Note on the N82 Tacitcal Pro and the Ruger LC9
The good news is that I am getting another N82 Tactical Pro for my LC9. I understand the overall form factor is smaller, as befits a somewhat smaller pistol (relative to the SR9c), and should be even better for all day concealed carry. Now, I get the opportunity to try this one for a while and report back. I'm expecting a good experience.

Conclusion
Like many of you, I have many holsters. Too many really. The search for the right holster for any shooter, especially those of us who carry concealed, can be long and expensive. My criteria have boiled down to those three items I discussed above: comfort, security and accessibility. For IWB holsters the N82 Tactical design is now #1 in my best concealed carry holster list. They deserve serious consideration if you are serious about concealed carry.

No comments:

Post a Comment