About SD Carry

As a young boy in Texas, I grew up with guns. They were basic tools, much like my grandfather's mitre box or pipe wrench, there to perform specific tasks when called upon. I was taught gun safety by virtually every male adult in my family. I spent eight years in the US Navy operating and maintaing various guns from .30 caliber to 5" rifles.

After a few years as a moderator on a popular gun forum, I learned that there is much disinformation, prejudice and plain ignorance about guns posted constantly on the internet.

This blog is dedicated to sharing worthwhile information about the increasing acceptance and practice of legal concealed carry in our country. There is much mis-information and wild opinion about this topic among its practitioners and the public in general. The moral, social and legal responsibilities of concealed carry are immense and must be understood and practiced by all who legally carry a gun.

There is also a vast amount of practical and useful information about carrying and the weapons themselves and I hope to be able to share some of that here. Your comments are welcome, but will be moderated by me before appearing on this blog.

Stay safe.

Other Pages

Friday, August 24, 2012

Bullard Cross Draw photos update

As I mentioned in my first post about this holster, it's not meant to be worn under a T-shirt. About the only OWB holster I've worn under a T-shirt successfully is David's Bodyguard holsters for the LCP and the LC9. Still, a somewhat loose shirt is best. Not baggy or obviously over sized, but just comfortable and not 'form fitting' will do.

Remember that this holster is broken in sufficiently for the gun, but not to me as yet. My experience tells me that I need to wear this holster and gun for a few weeks to get it accustomed to my body shape before I can pass final judgement on its suitability for concealed cross-draw carry. It is very good now, when new, so my expectations are that it's going to get better over time.


Update, October 7, 2010
Since the post, above, I have continued to try this holster at different times, with different clothing. I've found that, for me and my body type, it is only really concealable with the SR9c under a jacket or cold weather vest. Wearing it with a sweater or sweat shirt, or a heavier shirt, still allows the butt of the pistol to push into the clothing such that it's obvious there is something there.

While this style of OWB cross draw holster may be very good for smaller framed guns or revolvers, and if the wearer is heftier and with a bigger body type, for slim people carrying somewhat larger guns, it is not a good choice. This is not aimed solely at Bullard cross draw holsters, but at all styles that do not have a method for the belt pulling the butt of the gun in against the body. If this isn't the case, the butt will protrude, more or less, but enough to show there is something under your garment.

So, my advice is not to avoid these designs, but arrange to try one out so that you can see if it fits your body style and clothing choices. If so, there is much to recommend them, as well as the cross draw carry itself.



No comments:

Post a Comment