About SD Carry

As a young boy in Texas, I grew up with guns. They were basic tools, much like my grandfather's mitre box or pipe wrench, there to perform specific tasks when called upon. I was taught gun safety by virtually every male adult in my family. I spent eight years in the US Navy operating and maintaing various guns from .30 caliber to 5" rifles.

After a few years as a moderator on a popular gun forum, I learned that there is much disinformation, prejudice and plain ignorance about guns posted constantly on the internet.

This blog is dedicated to sharing worthwhile information about the increasing acceptance and practice of legal concealed carry in our country. There is much mis-information and wild opinion about this topic among its practitioners and the public in general. The moral, social and legal responsibilities of concealed carry are immense and must be understood and practiced by all who legally carry a gun.

There is also a vast amount of practical and useful information about carrying and the weapons themselves and I hope to be able to share some of that here. Your comments are welcome, but will be moderated by me before appearing on this blog.

Stay safe.

Other Pages

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Holsters, and car jacking

In keeping with Holsters, part 2 a few entries back, and my search for a standard carry system in which I can, if desired, pack a main carry handgun and a back up gun comfortably and in readily accessible locations, Holster evaluations post, I learned something recently that puts this into a more practical perspective.

There was a foiled car jacking attempt in a city north of here, one to which I travel frequently. The driver was able to draw his sidearm from behind his hip while buckled into his seat just in time to put the muzzle of his weapon in the would-be car jacker's face as he yanked open the passenger door. The perp fled immediately. The driver was shaken up by this and by the fact that he had to struggle to draw his gun, given where he was carrying it and that he was belted in. Imagine him struggling to get his gun out and the perp sliding into the seat next to him and sticking him with a knife five or twelve times...

So, now, while in the car, I have a handgun riding in the cross draw position where it is quickly accessible and not hindered by the belt or seat. I have been using a Remora for this, and it works very well, but I would also like to have a good cross draw holster solidly attached to my belt, and that still conceals very easily.

And, now, as soon as I get into the car, I make sure the doors are locked.

No comments:

Post a Comment