About SD Carry

As a young boy in Texas, I grew up with guns. They were basic tools, much like my grandfather's mitre box or pipe wrench, there to perform specific tasks when called upon. I was taught gun safety by virtually every male adult in my family. I spent eight years in the US Navy operating and maintaing various guns from .30 caliber to 5" rifles.

After a few years as a moderator on a popular gun forum, I learned that there is much disinformation, prejudice and plain ignorance about guns posted constantly on the internet.

This blog is dedicated to sharing worthwhile information about the increasing acceptance and practice of legal concealed carry in our country. There is much mis-information and wild opinion about this topic among its practitioners and the public in general. The moral, social and legal responsibilities of concealed carry are immense and must be understood and practiced by all who legally carry a gun.

There is also a vast amount of practical and useful information about carrying and the weapons themselves and I hope to be able to share some of that here. Your comments are welcome, but will be moderated by me before appearing on this blog.

Stay safe.

Other Pages

Sunday, June 2, 2013

Another View: Ruger Magazine Disconnect Safety and Holsters with Attached Mag Pouch


It is Sunday, so it is time to debunk a couple of myths. 

Myth one: there is no practical reason for Ruger, on most of their semi-auto pistols to include a magazine disconnect safety. (The LCP is an exception to this rule.)

While it is true that many people do not like this feature, that is not to say that it is without merit or was included solely to meet certain state requirements for sales. I thought this for a while, but some blogger (and I'm sorry I don't recall who or I would certainly give credit here) pointed out that a very good reason it is there is to provide a safety in the circumstance when the magazine is removed and there remains a round in the chamber.

In order to rack the slide to remove the loaded round, on a Ruger one must put the manual safety on FIRE. So, at that point, the gun is cocked, a round is in the chamber and it's off safe. Nudge the trigger, or perhaps drop it and it lands the wrong way, and bang! you have a negligent discharge, with possibly injury or worse. So, with the magazine disconnect in place and operational, even though the manual safety is off, and a round is loaded in the chamber, the gun won't fire. One can rack and remove the round with a safety still operative.

I think most people who remove the magazine disconnect safety mechanism from their guns do so because they envision a situation in which, for some reason or other, the magazine drops from their gun when they are about to fire a round in a desperate circumstance. I'm not sure why this would happen, although I'll bet there are many who can concoct scenarios in which it would. I think the odds are extremely slim and, personally, I'd rather have an extra margin of safety operative for the many times I will be removing a round from the chamber of my loaded Ruger and trust that my magazine will be in place when I need to fire the weapon.



Myth two: Using a holster that incorporates a built-in mag pouch is more of a liability than an asset. This reasoning is based on the notion that if one has the holster on the same side of the body as the shooting hand, reaching across the body with the other hand for the magazine is either impossible, awkward, slow or just plain wrong.

Obviously, if one wears such a rig and carries either cross-draw or appendix, this argument loses all force. It's no more difficult to reach for the mag in those positions with the non shooting hand than it is to reach behind your hip with the same hand for an extra mag. And, as I've noted here before, there are many good reasons (myth busters, too) for a concealed carry being in the cross draw position.

I have a Remora holster for my LCP with the built in mag carrier, provided kindly by Alan of Remora for me to test this theory. I've been wearing it strong side, at about the 3:30 to 4:00 position for the LCP. The magazine rides a little forward of this at 2:30 to 3:00 o'clock, depending. Now, I have found that it is absolutely no issue to reach the top of my right hip with my left hand and pluck the magazine from the holster. In fact, with a two hand grip on the gun, my weak (left) hand is equally distant from a magazine worn on either hip, and it is closer to the mag that sits on, or in front of my right hip. When I wear a mag holder on my left side, for comfort it's usually somewhat behind the left hip, putting it actually farther away from my left hand than the mag on the holster.

An actual advantage of having a holster with an attached mag holder is two fold. One, when you grab the gun and holster, you also automatically grab an extra magazine. Two, especially with the Remora holster, the holster/mag pouch combination is longer and "flatter" than the holster alone, providing more friction area to keep it in place, and more area to spread the load making it even more comfortable.

Well, that's it for myth busting today. I'll be looking for more myths to bust, or at least expose as time goes on.

Thanks for reading, and be safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment