About SD Carry

As a young boy in Texas, I grew up with guns. They were basic tools, much like my grandfather's mitre box or pipe wrench, there to perform specific tasks when called upon. I was taught gun safety by virtually every male adult in my family. I spent eight years in the US Navy operating and maintaing various guns from .30 caliber to 5" rifles.

After a few years as a moderator on a popular gun forum, I learned that there is much disinformation, prejudice and plain ignorance about guns posted constantly on the internet.

This blog is dedicated to sharing worthwhile information about the increasing acceptance and practice of legal concealed carry in our country. There is much mis-information and wild opinion about this topic among its practitioners and the public in general. The moral, social and legal responsibilities of concealed carry are immense and must be understood and practiced by all who legally carry a gun.

There is also a vast amount of practical and useful information about carrying and the weapons themselves and I hope to be able to share some of that here. Your comments are welcome, but will be moderated by me before appearing on this blog.

Stay safe.

Other Pages

Thursday, June 13, 2013

Let there be Light and Innovative Mag Carriers


Centerfire


Tight, red beams of light. Last week I received a number of laser sights from Lasermax for my evaluation project. I have been fitting them to my various handguns, getting used to them, removing and replacing them to see how that operation goes, and fitting them to my Remora holsters. One of the main reasons I'm using Remora holsters for the laser equipped pistols is that with a little modification by me - removing a couple of strategic seams - they fit laser equipped guns perfectly. For those of us who have holsters for our non-laser guns, this is a good thing, especially as the will still readily accommodate the same pistol with or without laser sights.

I will be reporting on the Lasermax Centerfire laser sights for the LCP and the LC9 (which also fits the new LC380) pistols, and the Lasermax Micro for the rail equipped SR9c.

Micro
The Micro excepted, the initial differences between the Crimson Trace and Lasermax sights are form factor, mounting hardware and switch activation. Both are easy to install or remove, requiring no more than five minutes (if you are slow). Their form factors are very close, the CT having a slightly thinner footprint except for the extension of the sight frame to the grip strap, which the Lasermax does not need. As an indication of the form difference, the Uncle George back pocket holster I have for my LCP/CT combination will also accommodate the LCP/LM but it's a little tight for the LM. Some break in will be necessary to expand the Uncle George a small amount to more easily accommodate the LM. It is a nit, really, as the LM equipped LCP fits well enough to carry, and will loosen over time, or with Uncle George's hair dryer trick.

I will have more detailed comparison information as time goes on, and hopefully a few more holster choices for both sights.

I have learned one thing already - I feel that having a laser sight on a small self-defense handgun is a positive factor. There have been many discussions regarding the usefulness of lasers on handguns. Many opponents cite factors such as "something else to fail", "dependence on acquiring the 'red dot'", "usefulness in the daylight", and so on. I will be addressing these objections later, but I will say now that I'm thinking that it is not wise to discard a option that stacks the odds more in your favor. Especially since I believe it is incumbent on the person who takes the responsibility of carrying a weapon to be able to only hit what one shoots at. There is no excuse for putting innocent people in danger. To this end, a laser sight can pay big dividends under certain situations. Considering that the vast majority of handgun owners are mediocre to poor marksmen in the ordinary case, and many will become poor to downright dangerous when the adrenaline is surging, the heart pounding and you see the elephant, having a laser to guide your shots is a really important advantage.

More light on this subject a little later.

Kytex Mag Carriers




I have the opportunity to try out a couple of the nifty and innovative Kytex magazine carriers. These are truly the most interesting and innovative mag carriers going. Check out the video on their various models here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APLd4SopfP8

And their own website at: http://www.kytexgear.com

These are made from a single sheet of kydex, folded ingeniously to create the mag holder itself, with automatic tensioning that still releases the magazine with little effort but keeps it firmly in place, and folds around to create the belt clip. No brads, screws or seams. One piece. Light weight and easy to use. Additionally, the design ensures that the magazine is always carried in the correct orientation, specified by you. Bullets forward or back. Your choice.

I have tried to find some flaw with this design or its execution. I at first thought that the little tabs on the ends of the belt clip would make it difficult to put on. No. In fact, they act as a kind of guide to help move it initially over the belt, and handy places to put finger leverage when removing the carrier. And, most helpful, keep the carrier on your belt so it can't slip up and over. Very cool.

So, I can't find anything at all to complain about. Even the price is less than most kydex makers charge for their wares.

My recommendation - if you need, or just want, the best kydex mag carrier that I have tried, get a Kytex. Or two or three.

No comments:

Post a Comment