About SD Carry

As a young boy in Texas, I grew up with guns. They were basic tools, much like my grandfather's mitre box or pipe wrench, there to perform specific tasks when called upon. I was taught gun safety by virtually every male adult in my family. I spent eight years in the US Navy operating and maintaing various guns from .30 caliber to 5" rifles.

After a few years as a moderator on a popular gun forum, I learned that there is much disinformation, prejudice and plain ignorance about guns posted constantly on the internet.

This blog is dedicated to sharing worthwhile information about the increasing acceptance and practice of legal concealed carry in our country. There is much mis-information and wild opinion about this topic among its practitioners and the public in general. The moral, social and legal responsibilities of concealed carry are immense and must be understood and practiced by all who legally carry a gun.

There is also a vast amount of practical and useful information about carrying and the weapons themselves and I hope to be able to share some of that here. Your comments are welcome, but will be moderated by me before appearing on this blog.

Stay safe.

Other Pages

Saturday, October 19, 2013

LaserMax Micro, Rail-Mounted Laser Sight

The LaserMax Micro

This is a really slick, rail-mounted laser made to fit any pistol with a rail, but especially meant for small, compact semi-automatics. Many people are buying and carrying the "compact" guns for self defense. It is an unfortunate fact that many of those, especially newcomers to concealed carry, do not have the opportunity or time for the level of training they need. Time at the range and some simple self-defense safety, drawing and firing practice are all that many people get.

Shooting a pistol accurately is not easy even for those of us who shoot and train regularly. This is especially true when the chips are down, adrenaline is pumping and one is involved in a life-or-death situation. It is also a factor when one is forced to fire a pistol in low light, or dark situations. These are the times when many self-defense shootings occur.


It is incumbent on all who carry legally to be as safe with their firearm as possible, especially when innocent bystanders are around. This means you must be able to actually hit what you are aiming to hit. Aiming a pistol properly with iron sights is difficult at the best of times. At the worst, it pays to have as much help as you can get. That's where laser sights come in.



LaserMax has been making laser sighting devices for many years. Handgun sights are only part of their business and expertise. Recognizing the need to provide a very small, lightweight, reasonably priced, and easily installed laser sight for compact semi-autos with rail mounts, they have produced the Micro. LaserMax was kind enough to provide one for me to evaluate on my Ruger SR9c, one of my favorite 'compact' carry pistols.

I was not interested in a larger, under the slide type of laser sight for this gun. It is more an issue of esthetics with me. I like the way the SR9c is designed and I like the holsters I had carefully chosen for it, since it is one of my main carry guns. The Micro promised to be more unobtrusive, lighter and would fit one of my Remora holsters that I use for this gun. I received it in the packaging you see above, opened the wrapping and within about a minute had it on the pistol.



It looks like an add-on, which it is. It's much smaller and less bulky than the CenterFire or Laserguard models. Which is good. Still, it initially looked kind of weird, hanging under the muzzle like that.


View of the Micro mounted to the SR9c from underneath.

Looked at from the bottom, it is not much larger than the slide and under-barrel body of the Ruger. Nice.



Installation was pretty bomb proof, even for me. Slide it on the rail, line up the hole in the laser mount with the notch in the rail, insert screw. Tighten. Done.

Switch Protection




In the photos above, I'm showing a really thoughtful feature that should be more advertised for this sight. I was concerned about activating the laser in my holster and imposing unnecessary battery drain. Looking closely at the laser body and fitting it in my holster revealed what I term a switch protection shield. These protrusions extend on both sides only enough to stop the activation switches from contacting the holster. A very nice touch.


On the gun.
The photos below show how the Micro looks close up, mounted on the pistol, ready to go.




It is barely wider than the frame, and from the top, you can't see it.

In operation it's pretty simple. When I draw the pistol my trigger finger is naturally laying extended down the side of the frame. The tip of that finger touches the activation switch on the right side (remember, it has a twin on the left side for left-hand shooters, or in case you might be forced to shoot with your non-dominant hand) and to turn the laser on takes only a brief press with that fingertip. Another press, and it turns off.

The laser offers pulsing or constant beam. I prefer constant, but the option is there should you want to switch.

Carrying the Micro-equipped pistol
One of my pet peeves with lasers is the fact that getting one after having a favorite gun, and going through the pain and expense of finding a couple of good, safe, comfortable carry holsters forces one to adapt one of those holsters, if possible, or buy at least one more holster. There are a number of good holster makers, Cleveland Holsters, for example, that make outstanding holsters for Micro equipped handguns. I've discovered that my "standard" non-laser Remora holster was easily modified to accept the Micro, by removing a short row of strategically placed stitches near the bottom of the holster. That's what I'm using to carry the SR9c when the laser is aboard. I sometimes remove it and carry the pistol in a favorite, leather OWB holster. It is easy enough to do. It would be easier, if LaserMax would develop a quick change mechanism similar to that found on road bicycle wheel mounts. 

I have grown used to the sight on the gun. As I said, it is small. Very small. Unobtrusive. Doesn't get in the way and these days, it is usually mounted to the Ruger because it's just too damn important to leave at home alone.

Check these out for more information on the LaserMax site: http://lasermax.com

Be safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment