About SD Carry

As a young boy in Texas, I grew up with guns. They were basic tools, much like my grandfather's mitre box or pipe wrench, there to perform specific tasks when called upon. I was taught gun safety by virtually every male adult in my family. I spent eight years in the US Navy operating and maintaing various guns from .30 caliber to 5" rifles.

After a few years as a moderator on a popular gun forum, I learned that there is much disinformation, prejudice and plain ignorance about guns posted constantly on the internet.

This blog is dedicated to sharing worthwhile information about the increasing acceptance and practice of legal concealed carry in our country. There is much mis-information and wild opinion about this topic among its practitioners and the public in general. The moral, social and legal responsibilities of concealed carry are immense and must be understood and practiced by all who legally carry a gun.

There is also a vast amount of practical and useful information about carrying and the weapons themselves and I hope to be able to share some of that here. Your comments are welcome, but will be moderated by me before appearing on this blog.

Stay safe.

Other Pages

Saturday, October 12, 2013

Lasers - Pick your color, red or green

I was fortunate to be able to test two excellent lasers from LaserMax for the Ruger LC9 handgun. Traditionally, the common laser light color offered for handguns has been red. I believe it is less expensive to produce, and smaller in form factor. Green laser light units can be bought, but they are sometimes significantly more expensive than the red light units.

Now, LaserMax offers both red light and green light lasers in the CenterFire model. As you can see from the photographs below, the two units appear almost identical. The sharp eye will notice that the green model is slightly larger than the red, although I found that this is really undetectable when on the gun. They mount and remove the same way and operate exactly the same. The only significant difference is the color of the laser beam itself.

LaserMax Centerfire. The red beam laser is attached. The green beam laser is below.

CenterFire red.
A look at the innards of the 'red'.

Both share this attachment method at the trigger guard.


The green.


You can see the size difference. The red is on top, green below with it's larger laser.

Side by side.
I have read that the green laser beam is preferred in daylight as it is easier for the human eye to discern. Maybe, but try as I could, I saw no appreciable difference. I tried them in bright sunlight and overcast days, and they were both readily seen by my old eyes.

Now, there may be some truth in the claim that the human eye is more sensitive to green light than red. Perhaps going from bright light suddenly to dark or near dark would make a difference in the color detection. I do know that some people say they see green better under all circumstances and prefer that color. If that is you, then LaserMax now offers an affordable, nicely made green laser for your handgun. If you are running a red CenterFire, there should be no issue with swapping it for a green in mounting or operation. Or, better still, for your holster collection.

Check out the specifications at Lasermax.com







No comments:

Post a Comment