About SD Carry

As a young boy in Texas, I grew up with guns. They were basic tools, much like my grandfather's mitre box or pipe wrench, there to perform specific tasks when called upon. I was taught gun safety by virtually every male adult in my family. I spent eight years in the US Navy operating and maintaing various guns from .30 caliber to 5" rifles.

After a few years as a moderator on a popular gun forum, I learned that there is much disinformation, prejudice and plain ignorance about guns posted constantly on the internet.

This blog is dedicated to sharing worthwhile information about the increasing acceptance and practice of legal concealed carry in our country. There is much mis-information and wild opinion about this topic among its practitioners and the public in general. The moral, social and legal responsibilities of concealed carry are immense and must be understood and practiced by all who legally carry a gun.

There is also a vast amount of practical and useful information about carrying and the weapons themselves and I hope to be able to share some of that here. Your comments are welcome, but will be moderated by me before appearing on this blog.

Stay safe.

Other Pages

Saturday, November 17, 2012

IWB Thoughts

There have been many opinions voiced and gallons of ink, virtual and real, consumed over the "best" self- defense carry gun. I have avoided most of this and settled on what you might call a "middle of the road" gun - a large capacity 9 mm semi - auto that fits my ergonomic preferences. At this point I consider the most important aspect of self defense carry to be carry. I subscribe to the notion that the most effective self defense gun is the one you have when you need one.

That requires you to constantly carry your chosen weapon. Simple idea, but often not easy to follow. Obviously, developing a personal system to comfortably and effectively carry a self defense gun is key to this. And, the holster is the crucial component. In addition to keeping the pistol oriented correctly, the trigger covered and held securely, but not too securely to inhibit a clean draw, the holster must be comfortable enough to carry regardless of when, where and how a person goes about his or her daily business.

Obviously, larger handguns are more difficult to holster well and carry for a long period. Another reason why the big caliber advocates have a fundamental problem when it comes to actually carrying the big guns for self defense. But, even so, there are many, many holster designs that attempt to answer those requirements. That is why many of us have accumulated our box-o-holsters.

In terms of basic comfort, the OWB (outside the waist band) is superior to the IWB (inside the waist band) design, but IWB designs generally are better for concealment. There are, of course, exceptions. Most of us will eventually settle on one of each as our favorite holsters.

For me, my best holsters share certain characteristics. Comfort, of course, but comfort alone is not enough. I don't want a holster so comfortable I "don't know it is there". I want to know it is there and where it is, but I don't want it to be a constant nag or pain. I have one IWB holster, an N82 Tactical, which is insanely comfortable (for a holster, let's stay real, we aren't talking about pillows here) but sometimes doesn't want to let go of my gun when I need to draw it. Not good. Fails a prime requirement - make the gun easily accessible all of the time, without fail.

Stability. When I put a holster in place I expect it to stay there. So far, every holster I have tried, IWB or OWB styles, that has only one clip does not stay in place. Not that it migrates from one side to the other, but it moves too much. The grip rotates down to the belt line. Or up so the end pokes into my shirt, printing "gun here!". Not good. I don't like getting out of the car and having to readjust the position of my holster. So, two clips or belt loops are mandatory.

The hybrid holsters built with two clips and a synthetic shell on a leather backing are stable, but I don't find them acceptably comfortable and they are hard to put on and remove. Besides, I don't like those clips with the "tails" that stick out. Just the ticket to catch on your shirt or sweater hem when pulling it up get to your gun.

So, loops - one big enough for stability, or maybe two loops - and reasonable comfort that does not impede access. And, a good place to accommodate an extra magazine would be good. So, I'm looking closely at the D.M. Bullard Texas Conceal Carry holster. Since I favor cross draw carry, this might be an excellent choice. A good belt loop attachment will keep the grips above the belt line and the flat, wider design incorporating a spare mag pouch, might make it stable and reasonably comfortable. If I am able, I will review this holster here and see how it stacks up against the other IWB holsters I have tried and reviewed.

No comments:

Post a Comment