About SD Carry

As a young boy in Texas, I grew up with guns. They were basic tools, much like my grandfather's mitre box or pipe wrench, there to perform specific tasks when called upon. I was taught gun safety by virtually every male adult in my family. I spent eight years in the US Navy operating and maintaing various guns from .30 caliber to 5" rifles.

After a few years as a moderator on a popular gun forum, I learned that there is much disinformation, prejudice and plain ignorance about guns posted constantly on the internet.

This blog is dedicated to sharing worthwhile information about the increasing acceptance and practice of legal concealed carry in our country. There is much mis-information and wild opinion about this topic among its practitioners and the public in general. The moral, social and legal responsibilities of concealed carry are immense and must be understood and practiced by all who legally carry a gun.

There is also a vast amount of practical and useful information about carrying and the weapons themselves and I hope to be able to share some of that here. Your comments are welcome, but will be moderated by me before appearing on this blog.

Stay safe.

Other Pages

Saturday, November 17, 2012

New D.M. Bullard Bodyguard

I have a Bodyguard OWB holster from D.M. Bullard for my LCP. I have had it for about two years and It has become my standard OWB holster for that gun. It is comfortable, secure and provides ease of access. And, importantly it conceals the LCP with almost anything including T-shirts. When I carried an LC9 I also bought and frequently used one of David's Bodyguards with equal satisfaction. I have been carrying my Ruger SR9c in a Bullard Bandit for OWB but having put the LC9 up for sale and using the SR9c as my main carry gun, I decided to go for a Bodyguard because of the better all-around concealment it provides.

Some people try many different makes and models of things before, through personal experience and preference, settle on a few out of the many and stick with them. Like many of you I had a box full of holsters accumulated while searching for the "best". The "best" is, of course, a very subjective and personal decision, as it should be. I confess to being a native of Fort Worth, Texas and therefore partial to such things as boots, hats and holsters made in Texas, so it was natural that I was intrigued with David Bullard's work when I first encountered it. I now have many products made by David or his craftsmen and I am still gladdened by the consistent quality and craftsmanship of his work. But, beyond that, I have found that his designs work. To me a good leather hand made holster is a thing of beauty, but even more so when it does exactly what it was designed and intended to do. So now, my box of holsters is emptying out and I am depending more and more on Bullard for my needs.

My new Bodyguard for the SR9c arrived this week and I quickly put it to the test. Perfect molding to the gun. Even the slide striations and indent for the magazine release button are precisely molded in. The trigger is completely covered, which, should one choose, allows carry of pistols like Ruger semi-auto to be carried with the manual safety "off" with assurance that the trigger safety is always protected. The gun and holster are held firmly in place with a good gun belt, behind the hip at a steep cant for comfort and concealment. This design works very well for the smaller pistols and equally as well for the larger gun.

I broke the holster in quickly by wrapping the pistol in two layers of kitchen plastic wrap and holstering a few times. Now, it is held tightly but releases easily. Seemingly a contradiction, but true.

I will be putting this new Bodyguard to the test over the winter and into the summer when lighter garments will be in order and I will report on that experience. Many holsters feel and perform very well initially, but with use and time may exhibit issues and flaws not obvious during the "honeymoon" period. I certainly don't expect any with the Bodyguard, but you never know.

No comments:

Post a Comment