About SD Carry

As a young boy in Texas, I grew up with guns. They were basic tools, much like my grandfather's mitre box or pipe wrench, there to perform specific tasks when called upon. I was taught gun safety by virtually every male adult in my family. I spent eight years in the US Navy operating and maintaing various guns from .30 caliber to 5" rifles.

After a few years as a moderator on a popular gun forum, I learned that there is much disinformation, prejudice and plain ignorance about guns posted constantly on the internet.

This blog is dedicated to sharing worthwhile information about the increasing acceptance and practice of legal concealed carry in our country. There is much mis-information and wild opinion about this topic among its practitioners and the public in general. The moral, social and legal responsibilities of concealed carry are immense and must be understood and practiced by all who legally carry a gun.

There is also a vast amount of practical and useful information about carrying and the weapons themselves and I hope to be able to share some of that here. Your comments are welcome, but will be moderated by me before appearing on this blog.

Stay safe.

Other Pages

Thursday, November 29, 2012

Versacarry Mag Release Issue - Update

As you will see a few posts back, I had an issue with the magazine in my Ruger SR9c being unintentionally ejected when I bent over sharply while carrying in the Versacarry "medium" rise holster.
I contacted the Versacarry folks about this, then set about trying to analyze what happened. As the photo will show, when I had the Versacarry and SR9c  in my normal cross draw position, while wearing my usual Wrangler jeans, the mag release button on the Ruger is positioned right underneath the sewn end of a belt loop and the heavy Bear Creek gun belt I normally wear. When I bent over sharply it put pressure on the mag release button sufficient to trip the mag release.

Mag release button exposed, but not in danger of being depressed. This is not my normal cross draw carry position but somewhat further back to illustrate the position of the various components: holster, belt loop, belt and button.

In the normal cross draw position, the mag release button is directly under the end of the belt loop and can also get pressure from the top of the stiff gun belt. As you can see, the magazine (empty) has been partially ejected. This was a result of bending sharply at the waist as if picking something off the floor.


Now, this is a situation that required a number of factors to come together simultaneously, something that is very unusual. My take on this is that when using any holster with which the magazine release button is exposed (i.e., not protected against actuation) check to ensure that there will be nothing pressing on the button while the gun is in the carry position you have chosen. If so, move the gun and holster, or use a different holster in that place. For the Versacarry line, the simplest solution would be to choose one of their holsters with a lower or higher ride which would move the mag release button to another place. I would, of course, test this with an unloaded gun just to make sure. In fact, if you use any holster that exposes the magazine release button, test it thoroughly to ensure that does not happen to you.

So, some after the fact testing and analysis shows that this issue was not simply the result of carrying my SR9c in a Versacarry holster, but carrying a semi-automatic handgun in any holster in which the magazine release is exposed. Take a look at your normal carry with this in mind.

Be safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment